Moms work around the clock with the To- Do list never coming to an end and now with the online schooling, work from home family members and less to no house help, time management plays a crucial role.
The pounding load of work can only bring stress and the best way to deal with is to shuffle and manage time so that moms get time to spend with their children, quality time with partner and also enjoy the almost forgotten Me-Time too.
Follow this simple and doable tips and trust me you will be able to get more work done in a day than you could have otherwise.
- Organise: When you know what is where and what is to be done, half the stress is gone. In a nutshell being organized simply means keeping the house in order, sticking to schedules and being discipled with the routine. Planning helps a great deal in this. List down the work and time allocated for it and every night before going to sleep, go through the next day’s list so you are prepared for it.
- Delegate: While it’s tempting to do everything on your own and ensuring things are done properly and in time, it’s impossible for one person to do it all. Delegate the work to other family members. This frees you from doing the minutest work in the house while others sit in front of the TV. Husband or any male adult can do the grocery runs. Kids can clean their room, teens or young adult kids can help folding the laundry. Work should be for everyone in the house and not just for moms.
- Say no when needed: The best tip for any mom is to learn to say “NO”. Yes, moms easily give into silly requests and demands just so they don’t disappoint the opposite person. But you land up being busier then before doing things you really didn’t want to do. It’s important to look at your own work priorities and say no to such demands. Nothing comes in between your will and time.
- Take Short Cuts: Where ever it is possible, take a short cut. Get pre chopped veggies instead of wasting time chopping them every time you start cooking. Get canned paste and purees to speed up the cooking process. Get fitted bedsheets than regular ones which are easier to manage and set the bed. Allocate your time where its most needed like pick and drop kids, get homework done or clean the house. And where you can, make the cut.
- Be flexible: We all want to stick to the schedule and be on time but we also need to be flexible. Include and accommodate unexpected things that most moms encounter like a sick child, car punctured during an errand run, out of ingredient during cooking. These things are unplanned and we need to have a time cushion. Have an alternate action plan in place to beat that one schedule hiccup that could otherwise have ruined your entire day.
- Self-care: As moms, we tend to lose themselves amidst all the work and responsibilities and its easy to put self-care at the end of the list. Self-care is not a luxury but a much needed break for moms. If you are not well rested and rejuvenated, you won’t feel motivated and function to your fullest. So get some quality sleep, eat healthy, take time to work out and sip your tea or coffee in peace.
Just as we love to see our kids happy, our kids to love to see their mom happy.
Parenting can be more easy by setting a routine. Read my blog on “6 reasons why you need to set a daily routine for your child” and let me know your thoughts on it. Also read my friend Seema’s blog on 20 reasons why you need to hug your child here.