We know the saying which goes like ” Penny Penny makes a pound” or it’s Hindi version “Boond Boond said he sagar banta hai”. Small steps can help bring a huge change when we look at them over a period of time. A drastic change in life is always tough but a conscious effort can surely help one lead an eco-friendly lifestyle.
So regardless you have decided to go eco friendly for environment, save money or realise how easy and doable it is, each step you take will bring you closer to making our planet a better place.
So here are some sustainable and easy ideas to get you started on your journey of eco friendly living.
- Switch off: Reduce your electricity bill and your carbon foot prints by hitting the off button. Leaving any electronics on standby mode leads to energy consumption and a simple click can help you reduce the load. So next time when you walk out of your bedroom or conference room, make sure you switch off the lights.
- Reduce plastic usage: One thing that I’ve been following diligently. Out went the plastic containers, jars and bottles and in came the glass containers. Even when it comes to toys, I stick to his grade plastic or wooden toys or things which can be reused and recycled. Plastic bags takes long to decompose, so do away with them and carry your own cloth bags next time you go grocery shopping.
- Use LED bulbs: Not only are LED bulbs efficient compared to regular ones, they also last longer which means less replacement. LED lights consume less electricity making it perfect for your pockets and the environment.
- Minimalistic Lifestyle: The one thing that we all should adopt is cutting needless buys. Understand the difference between needs and wants and go for needs rather than wants. There are many portals which now sell preloved clothes for adults and baby stuff as well. Pass on things you no longer need like kids stuff specially which they outgrow over a period of time. Pass their clothes, toys and books to anyone who can now use it for their child.
- Fix it: It’s easy to discard and get a new thing when anything is damaged or not working properly. But a little effort of trying to mend it could give it a new life and also help you save some bucks and decrease the waste that is created.
- Reuse the boxes: Online shopping means lots of courier boxes. Put them to use in some or the other way. Make a pretend play set for your kids, build a doll house, or make an organiser for yourself.
- Go on foot: Running for an errand, walk it up. Not only you reduce the carbon emission from vehicles but also burn those calories.
- Stop food wastage: It takes at least 90 to 120 days to grow one grain of rice and it takes not even a minute to waste it. With hungry mouths waiting to get one morsel to food, wastage of food is a big no no. Cook the right quantity. If it’s less you can remake it but don’t over cook to discard it if not consumed. There are many volunteer based organisations like Robinhood Army who take the extra food that you have from parties or restaurants and pass it on to the needy. Click here to know more about them and how you can connect with them.
We all know that with our incorrect actions, the global temperatures are rising, which is not making it easy for the environment to sustain. Being a citizen of this planet, respect it and take few but noteworthy efforts to save our planet.
Also read my blog on Gardening with kids here.
With this, I take my blog to next level with #MyFriendAlexa 2021 and #CauseaChatter with @Blogchatter. Stay glued to my blog for some interesting topics and book reviews lined up. Also soon I will be dropping in an interview with an Author whose work I have adored and also reviewed his book on my page.