Last year I had spent good time to shortlist places I could visit and show my kids around during the vacation time in Mumbai. And since I had spent my childhood abroad, I too had not seen many places and was equally excited as my kids to visit them. While summers in Mumbai can be really hot, its necessary to plan your day accordingly with your kids. So for this year, I have made a comprehensive list of places to visit along with kids and have a good time. So gear up, be ready to click some awesome photos and lets begin….
- Boot Ghar/Shoe House: Favorite from my childhood days, this is the place to be with your kid. There is a big shoe made as the main attraction and small kids are allowed to climb up and stand at the top window. Apart from that, they have a nice garden to play for kids and also park type area to just chill and eat with your family. Some beautiful flowers and painted walls to make it a beautiful backdrop for some amazing pictures too.
Location: Malabar hill.
Entry Fee: No
- Beaches: When in Mumbai how can we not visit the beaches. You have Chowpaty, Juhu Beach and Aksha Beach where you can chill with your kids. The food outside the beach area is also awesome. You can’t miss eating corn and Pav Bhaji at these beaches and grab a Vada Pav at Aksha Beach too. Weekends could be really crowded at the beaches so try to visit on a weekday so your kids get good place to play around.
Location: Chowpaty- Marine lines
Juhu Beach- Juhu, Vile parle
Aksha Beach- Kandivli or Borivali
- Taraporewala Aquarium: One of oldest attraction, which was re done recently will excite your kids if they like underwater life. Requires a maximum of 45 minutes to see the entire thing around. Again, try visiting on a weekday to avoid the long queue and the rush.
Location: Marine Lines
Entry Fee: Yes (30/- Rs approx.
- Nehru Planetarium: kids will be completely excited and engulfed with the pictures of all the stars, solar system and planets that they will see around them. Screen shows are also hosted on astronomy (check the timings on their site and book your tickets in advance).
Location: Dr. Anne Besant Road, worli
Entry Fee: Yes
- Gateway of India: the main attraction of Mumbai, the Gateway of India is a place to be for everyone. Visit it early evening as its always crowded. Enjoy a ferry ride with your kids or book an advance ticket to enjoy a yatch ride with your family and friends. Take selfies with beautiful water as your backdrop and enjoy the munchies you get there. This place is generally crowded throughout the year so be prepared for it. You can club this visit with other near by places like Chowpaty and Colaba Causeway as they are near by and if you are Gateway, eating at Bademiya’s is a must.
- Elephanta Caves: Spend your day at Elephant caves whch is located at Elephnata Island for which you need to take a ferry ride from Gateway Of India.Marked by UNESCO as the World Heritage Site, this place has caves dating back to 5thto 8th century. There is also a giant sculptor of Trimurti of Shiva, which is a main attraction to see. A visit to this place would require a whole day and proper planning and ticket booking for ferry, as they are available only till a certain time.
There are some more places to visit in Mumbai, like Borivali National Park and Mumbai Zoo but keeping the heat and kids in mind, I have skipped them from the list. You will thoroughly enjoy all these places and take back sweet memories and some good photos with you.