A helping hand is always a blessing and not necessary it should be an adult. Help can be seeked from kids as well. But the reason to seek this help should not be to reduce your work burden but to make your kids more responsible and also a part of basic life skills which we can start from an early age. You would be amazed at what his love to do and if you make it fun for them, they would enjoy doing it more.
I have listed some age wise chores which we can make our kids help us.
For toddles aged 2 to 3
- Putting the toys back in the basket
- Getting fruits or veggies from refrigerator
- Brushing their own teeth ( followed by adult doing it for the kid)
- Throw trash in the bin
- Flush the toilet
For Pre Schoolers
- All of the above
- Put their dirty clothes in laundry basket
- Keeping their personal belongings where they should be
- Help set the table
- Keep their room tidy
- Help water plants
- Fold towels and small clothes
- All of the above
- Wash veggies
- Help with meal preparation
- Brush their own hair
- Clean up their room
- Fold laundry
But while we teach our child basic life skills, we should also remember they are still kids and we are not in any kind of competition. Every child is different and may learn with time. May will or not will to help. Gradual permutation and some below pointers will only make it more interesting for you and them aswell.
- Don’t make them work along. Be around. Work with them.
- Don’t assign a task rudely or loudly as if its a punishment. Request gently with a smile.
- Slow down your movements so your child can see how it is done.
- Make chores fun for your kids.
- Don’t bother about perfection.
- Teach one things at a time. Don’t burden them
- Mostly enjoy your self and make it fun for your kids too.
So happy parenting my fellow parents. if you carry your childhood with you, you are never old.